Others sites of visit
The old abbot's lodge
Erected on medieval foundations, rebuilt in the 17th century and modified in the 19th century, the Abbot’s Lodge, known as “The Castle”, served as the private residence of Leon Edoux. Léon Edoux (1827-1910) was born in Saint Savin at No. 44 right on this square. He was a civil engineer who created the stage machinery for Apollo Theater’s “Nouveau Cirque” and “Basculo” in Paris. He invented a hydraulic goods-lift which he introduced at the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1867. He received his first order from the Emperor Napoleon III for his Château Saint-Cloud. In 1889 he built and installed a lift between the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Eiffel Tower, which was in operation until 1984. He bought the castle in 1892 and undertook important renovation works on the castle, especially to the east front. He also constructed the crenellated tower for the storage of drinking water and to make use of his hydraulic lift.
The Mill of la Gassote is part of the Abbey’s estate which owned then 12 mills on 4 streams (on the Gartempe, the Salleron, the Anglin and the Benaize). This ancient flour mill was built in 1856 but it was destroyed in 1876 and rebuilt in 1877. It was in operation until 1961. Nowadays, the mill became part of the camping site and houses 10 stopover beds and 3 holiday cottages as well as a meeting room with a kitchen area. From the ancient mill remain its large paddle wheel, its spinning wheel and also its regulator.
The old bridge
(Saint Savin & Saint Germain)
The old bridge dates back to the 13th century and was listed as a Historic Monument in 1896. The bridge is slightly hump-backed. 100 meters long and 3.5 meters wide, it has five broken bow arches, one semicircular marine arch and includes five passing places.
In 1671 and 1726, following a decree of Parliament by which Saint Savin’s bridge tolls were transferred to the administration of the Abbey, monks were called upon to help repair the bridge.
The bridge connects the villages of Saint-Savin and Saint-Germain and since the end of the Middle-Age, it was used by the users of the road Poitiers-Bourges to cross the river Gartempe.
With the spreading of urbanization, in 1882, the New Bridge was built.
The contemporary art gallery ER
Created in June 2012, the contemporary art gallery "Emmanuelle Rousse" works on thematic such as the identity and the link.
Come and discover different artistic works (painting, drawing, photography, etc.) working on human figure and around the problematic of the individual or collective identity in our society.
Phone number : 0033 6 63 16 98 25
Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site : www.emmanuellerousse.com
The lantern of the dead
The lantern of the Dead is a monument from the 13th century listed as a Historic Monument in 1884. This religious edifice was a lantern in the cemetery. In 1880, the tower was demolished and moved to its present site. Originally the lantern was situated near the road to Lussac in the left-hand corner of the square in the centre of the Merovingian cemetery. This cemetery was so wide it occupied the current site of the houses in the town centre! This last remaining reminder of this cemetery is approximately 7 meters high with a hollow interior and openings oriented towards the four cardinal points of the compass. If you look inside you can see holes dug into the stone which served as footholds for the person responsible for climbing inside the tower to light the lantern at the top. During those times it was thought that, “the protective light emitted at night could hold back death and stop it from claiming more victims”. The altar table points east and was used by priests to celebrate Mass on days of religious feasts.
The ''Gué de Sciaux""
Along 25 hectares of both banks of the Gartempe, there are archeological excavations on the site of the ford of Sciaux. The remains of an ancient Roman city have been discovered here. On the left bank of the river were the buildings such as theatres, thermal baths, and temples and, on the right bank, the housing.Excavations at this site began in 1983 and continue to the present day. A team of volunteers, from all over the country, arrived in Antigny each summer for a fortnight of archaeological exploration at this important site.
You can admire these excavations (temple pediment, statues,
sculptures, etc.) at the Museum of Antigny (open only from 15th of july to 15th of august)
Phone number : 0033 5 49 48 99 18
The church "Saint Hilaire"
The church of Saint-Hilaire is mentioned in texts dating from as far back as 1093 when the Bishop Pierre II confirmed its donation to Saint Savin. The current building is mainly from the 15th century with the presbytery dating from the 18th century. Both buildings are of such architectural merit that they were listed as a French Supplementary Historic Monument in 1993.
The bell tower’s porch was pinned to the Romanesque frontage and in the 18th century it was capped by a round slate roof with double lantern in the so-called “Imperial style”, rare in Poitou. Thereafter it was reworked significantly and sculpted ornaments have been incorporated. In the 15th century, the powerful family of Allemaigne, Lords of Nalliers, gifted two abbots to Saint Savin. The arms of the family appear 19 times in the Church of Saint-Hilaire: on the choir’s cornerstones and on ribbed sculpted base of the porch.
Some Lords and Ladies, such as Lady Antoinette de Cognac (widow of the Comte de Turpin) have their tombs beneath the slabs in the church’s choir.
Take note of the gilded wooden tabernacle. Recently restored, it was listed as a Historic Monument and belongs to a group of 7 tabernacles of Poitou called “with pillars and trailing plants”.
The seigniorial chapel on the North-East side is also from the 15th century. You can see inside the arms of the family Lauzon. The stained glass window of the choir depicts the patron saint of the church: Saint Hilaire.
Near the nave, there is a screen wall which makes us assume that sisters were attending the office and that a little community was settled in Nalliers. Find near the altar a bell and on the right a statue with the head and the forearm broken. This statue from the 16th or the 18th century is supposed to be a virgin with a child and it is registered on the Supplementary inventory of classified movable objects.
On the building’s north notice an imposing cross which leans on the bell tower and the unusual shape of the chapel’s buttress. On the top of the chapel, under the roof, you may spot the animal sculpture.
The chapel ''Saint Phèle"
(Saint Pierre de Maillé)
The chapel Saint-Phèle was an independent parish chapel until 1793. It is said that the Father Fournet would have written there the rules of life of the Girls of the Cross, a congregation created in 1806. Very few remain from this medieval church.
The church ''Saint Pierre''
(Saint Pierre de Maillé)
The Church Saint-Pierre appears to have been built during the Caroligian era and it was rebuilt in 1651. From the ancient medieval church remains some traces including a part of a wall in which is set a piece of a gallo-roman column.Find in the presbytery’s courtyard a Merovingian sarcophagus. This sarcophagus discovered around the church presents on its lid a double cross as well as roses and geometric patterns.
The chapel "Notre Dame du Rosaire"
(Saint Pierre de Maillé)
The chapel Notre-Dame du Rosaire appears to have been built in the 16th century. It was partly destroyed by the rise of the river Gartempe in 1741. It was rebuilt at the beginning of the 20th century by the family of la Touche d’Avrigny, the owner of the chapel. Nowadays, property of the municipality, it was refurbished and houses exhibition as well as cultural events.
The church "Saint Pierre Es Liens"
The first mention of the church Saint-Pierre-ès-liens appears in the text of the Pope Innocent III in 1211. This Romanesque church was rebuilt in 1888 with a unique nave made on a plan of a Latin cross.A slab from the 18th century shows the arms of the family of Laage de la Bertholière.In the old days, parents who had problem with their crying child came here on pilgrimages.
The stone bridge
The stone Bridge on the Salleron called « ponceau » was built on the 12th century when the race of the Mill of Vrassac was made. They didn't want to interrupt the pathway linking the village centre to the Roman road Poitiers/Bourges. Thus, this bridge replaced the “Ford” of Villeneuve.
The mission cross
The mission cross was erected in 1822 at the suggestion of the vicar J. Poulet. It was refurbished several times since then. It is 9.80 meters high and 2.80 meters broad. The mission cross shows the passion of the Christ’s instruments with the moon and the sun. It is said that Saint Hubert Fournet used to ride down from his horse and recite a Miserere before going into the church.
The church "Saint Maixent"
The church Saint-Maixent was built in 1782 at the suggestion of Henry Joseph du Bouex, Count of Villemort, further to the edification of the parish in 1778 as well as the construction of the presbytery located in front of the church. The church is given to the municipality on the 26th of October 1989 by the descendants of the family Du Bouex. Inside the church, admire the engraving of the Christ in three different copper made.
Angles sur l'Anglin
(One of the most beautiful village in France)
Listed as one of the most beautiful village in France, Angles sur l’Anglin village is a must-seen if you pass by our region.
Divided in two parts, find in the upper part of the town, the archaeological ruins of the former feudal castle standing about 40 meters high and dominating the Anglin valley.
For security matter, the castle is not open to public but the village offers few panoramas with exceptional view on the castle. You can also turn around it.
Find at the tourist information office map of the upper and lower part of the village. The tourist information office offers also guided tour of the village every Friday and Saturday at 3pm on reservation.
Phone number : 0033 5 49 48 86 87
Web site :
Les Jours d'Angles
(Angles sur l'Anglin)
Since 1850, women in Angles sur l’Anglin make embroidery with a specific technique named Les jours d’Angles. In order to preserve this precious know-how and the quality of this work, in 1981, an association was created. In 2009, a place is made for them inside the tourist office information when they can do exhibitions, sell their works and also preserve record about their history.
The "Roc aux sorciers"
The "Lascaux of sculpture"
(Angles sur l'Anglin)
Besides its beautiful village, Angles sur l’Anglin is also known for its unique prehistoric sculpted frieze discovered in 1950. 20 meters long, this frieze dates back to Magdalenian’s era and is aged of 15 000 years. Unfortunately, to preserve it, the original site is not open to visitors. This is the reason why, the Roc-aux-sorciers interpretation center was opened. It offers a reconstitution of this wonderful site by mixing educational scenography and a multimedia show of around 30minutes. Before going to the reconstituted frieze, learn about life and habits of Magdalenian’s era through a reconstitution. After learning about life and habits of the Magdalenian’s era you can access to this reconstituted frieze. This frieze is understandable for partially-sighted person.
The Roc aux sorciers offers guided tour in English on reservation or for those who prefer discover the site by themselves, a guided booklet is available in English.
Phone number : 0033 5 49 83 37 27
Mail : email@example.com
Web site : www.roc-aux-sorciers.com